If you’re the proud owner of a mountain home and are ready to start renovating, congratulations! Your mountain home is truly a place where you can relax and enjoy some of the most stunning scenery nature offers.
Before you can kick back and enjoy Mountain Home 2.0, some work needs to be done. If you’re eager to start your mountain home renovations and want to ensure you go about it the right way, follow our top expert tips for the best remodeling experience possible.
At VPC Builders, we’ve got plenty of experience with mountain home renovations under our belts. We’re familiar with the unique challenges and situations presented when building in mountainous areas and have the strategies and solutions needed to turn your vision for your mountain home renovations into a reality. Contact VPC Builders today to start your mountain home renovations off right.
The Keys to Great Mountain Home Renovations
In general, there are four key steps to starting the home renovation planning process:
1. First, take stock of what you want to change… and ask why. Do you want to update the look of your home, make it more functional, or combine the two?
2. Once you know your goals for the renovation, start planning your budget and timeline. A professional builder can guide you through what to expect and help you create a calendar that works.
3. Next, hire a reputable contractor, such as VPC Builders, who has experience with mountain home renovations. They’ll be able to assist you in successfully navigating the unique issues that arise when renovating in a remote and rugged location.
4. Finally, don’t forget to enjoy the process! Your mountain home renovations are an opportunity to put a little bit of yourself into your home — make the most of this chance by having fun and looking forward to the final outcome.
For Your Mountain Home, Renovation Comes Before Relaxation
Though you’re likely chomping at the bit to start enjoying your mountain home, it is essential to create an accurate, workable plan. By taking care of all the necessary preparations beforehand, you can avoid most unexpected “surprises” and setbacks down the road (we say “most” because we’ve learned the mountains always have a trick or two up their sleeve).
One of the initial things you will want to do is create a budget and timeline for your project. Coming up with a timeline and budget will help keep things on track and ensure that everything stays within your financial and logistical bounds. Once you have a decent framework of what needs to be done and when, you can begin looking at different contractors, gathering quotes, and comparing their services.
Ask the contractor lots of questions. If you’re wondering if any particular question is important, just ask. That’s what you’re paying them for, so take full advantage of their expertise, whether it’s regarding flooring, windows, landscaping, green building, colors, materials, or literally any other renovation topic that concerns you.
When you ask questions, the contractor will understand what’s important to you and offer solutions you may not have thought of on your own. They may suggest using different kinds of materials that can save you money down the road, or might offer to source local supplies for certain parts of your project.
Remember that not all contractors approach a job with the same passion, respect, and attention to detail as VPC Builders. Make sure you’re fully aware of everything included in the quote — as well as what isn’t — before signing any contracts.
Start Your Mountain Home Renovations the Right Way
Here’s what we’ve learned:
- A clear vision for your mountain home renovations is vital before beginning any work. This will help ensure that the finished product is exactly what you wanted.
- Budget constraints are always a reality, so you must be realistic about what kind of repairs and upgrades you can afford. Once you have your budget, make every attempt to stick to it as closely as possible.
- Some people try to take on too much at one time when renovating their mountain homes and end up getting overwhelmed and stressed out in the process. Make sure that no matter the work to be performed, you approach it as the fun and exciting opportunity it is!
Something that we’ve learned is that more goes into great mountain home renovations than we could ever hope to fit in a single post. Be sure to check out other VPC Builders’ blog posts for other handy tips and ideas for home or commercial construction in North Carolina.
Contact VPC Builders today to discuss your needs, receive a quote, and put the wealth of our experience to work for you.