Before hiring a home builder, it is important to ask questions about their home building processes, customization options, plot necessities, and more. There is so much more to the building process than only the customization options and building materials. Without communication and relationship, your building project will not live up to your desired custom home potential.
Here is your checklist of 9 great questions to ask builders before signing with them to build your dream home.
Your Checklist on What to Ask Builders When Building a Home
- What does my final cost entail? When you get a quote, ensure you know what that quote involves and for what you will need to pay extra. Will the construction company pay the worker, or do you need to fund that? If they don’t include some things in the price, make sure you calculate them, so you have a final price. Ensure your final price includes:
- Site Preparation
- Cabinets and countertops
- Do I need to obtain my lot? Some construction companies will help you find a lot that fits your dream home needs; however, other firms may require that you already own a lot when beginning the construction process. If you don’t yet have a lot, ask if this changes anything within the building process.
- What are my customization options? Every building company offers different customization options. So, as you begin communicating with a company, ensure they offer all the upgrades you want.
- Can I see testimonials and a portfolio? Before committing to working with a builder, ask to see and hear about the success of their past work (especially built homes similar to your plans). If you can, talking with their past customers is a great opportunity, but seeing a portfolio or walking through one of their current projects will help you have a better sense of the quality of their work.
- Has a customer ever sued you? At first, it feels unnatural to ask, but before committing to a long-term working relationship, knowing how the company handles legal disputes is essential.
- What is your communication process with clients? Ensuring that you are part of the conversation during the entire journey is vital for the success of your project. You should know what is going on during every step of the process. Make sure you understand how your construction company plans to proceed with communication between you and them and the frequency of that conversation.
- What type of warranty do you offer? Each construction company’s warranty will be different but knowing what is covered by each firm is essential to ensure you are covered if things go wrong.
- Who will I be working with directly? It’s good to meet both your project manager and the general supervisor of your project. These interactions will help you feel comfortable putting your dream home into their hands.
- Can I visit the job site during construction? It’ll be nice to know in advance whether you will have access to your home during construction. This way, you will know in advance whether you can have check-ins during the building process.
Ask As Many Questions As You Have
Never be afraid to ask too many questions. The more questions you ask, the more prepared you are for the building process.
Learn more about VPC Builders’ services.